Monday, October 13, 2008

I ran my weekly 5-mile rest run

The sky was overcast and a cold breeze was blowing during my run. The temperature was in the mid 40s. I wore two layers (T-shirt and wind breaker) and my running shorts. It was a nice run. I let my body set the pace, and I felt like I was cruising down a highway in my car. I haven't felt that way for quite a while, and it felt good!

I only had 5 hours of sleep last night. I woke up and didn't go back to sleep. I got up thinking I would return to bed after an hour, but I never made it back to bed.


newLIrunner9 said...

Way to go Allen! From the sounds of this run it seems you have recovered from last years injury???:) I love to hear you were just 'cruisin'!!

You are doing awesome!!!

I can't remember, and please forgive me, but do you have any upcoming races planned?

Thanks again for all your help. I finished the Staten Island Half in 1:57:36 on Sunday, I am extremely pleased! My race report is on my blog. I couldn't have done it without your guidance and wisdom!!!:)

Allen said...

Hi Joanne,

Congrats on your good time in the half!!

I don't have any races planned for a while. I got into trouble last year that resulted in my one and only injury by pushing my training too much. I spent 6 months last year increasing my LSD pace from 11:30 to 10:30. I reduced my distance during the 6 months and was careful to not overstress myself each week, and I finished the 6 months in fine shape, so I thought. I didn't realize that my body was under stress from the 6 months and needed some time to work out that stress.

My mistake was that I immediately started to increase my distance back to my former values. I should have run for a few months at the faster pace at the same distances I was doing to help my body get used to the faster pace. Just reaching a faster pace doesn't mean my body is used to that pace. The extra stress from the longer distances pushed me over the edge into an injury. The day that I was injured I ran a fast 5-miles, and that stress was the thing that caused the injury.

This time, I'm not worrying about pace, and I'm slowly increasing my distances back to those I ran two years ago, 5, 5, 10, 13 I'm in no hurry to get there. Rather than making weekly increases in distance, I'm making bi-weekly increases, or even tri-weekly increases. Right now I'm running 5, 6.5, 6.5 each week, so I have a long way to go to get to my distance goals. The bottom line to all of this is that I'll likely miss the April 2009 Salt Lake City half marathon, but I hope I'll be able to do the June 2009 5K that I've run the past two years. My next half marathon will likely be the SLC in April 2010.

When I was younger I would have been able to spend 6 months increasing my LSD pace and immediately started to increase my distance, but I've learned that I need more time to do all of that