Monday, October 27, 2014

Ran/walked another 2.5 miles

My wife and I went to the South Jordan 100th South trailhead and headed south. We repeated the course we usually use and did 2.5 miles. I felt stronger and took no rest stops on the way out but took three short stops on the way back. I will keep my distance to 2.5 miles for a while while I get used to that distance. There are several benches along the trail in the vicinity of the East Pavilion, and it is easy to tell my wife (who walks faster than I do) to wait at such and such a bench. We were out about 9 am, and the temperature was in the mid 50s (F). I wore my long pants for the first time this fall.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Walked a mile

My wife and I have a busy schedule today and the rest of the week. I didn't do any running today, but I did walk for a mile. Not great, but the best I can do under my schedule.

Monday, October 20, 2014

2.5 miles again

My wife and I were out in mid morning. Temperature was in the high 50s (F), but the expected high for the day was in the low to mid 60s. Nothing unusual happened on my run today. My timer was set for 20 seconds running and 20 seconds walking, but I fudged it a bit and ended up with 15 or so running and 25 seconds or so walking.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Another 2.5 miles

My wife and I drove to the South Jordan trail head at 100th South and then went north, using the same route that we used earlier in the week. I had planned to have us go south, but the South Jordan Marathon was in progress, and we didn't want to get mixed in with those runners. I felt good for the first mile, but became tired during the last mile. The temperature was in the 60s (F), and it was another great Fall day. I went the full 2.5 miles, but my wife only went 2 miles, because she was tired. It's important in running to avoid pushing yourself beyond your capabilities for that day. If you're tired, reduce the length and/or the speed of the run or walk.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Another tired 2.5 miles

We drove to the 100th South trailhead and went north using the same route we used last week. I was tired for the whole time, due, I think, to lack of sleep. I've been getting about 5 - 5 1/2 hours each night. I'm trying to get more sleep, but something always comes up to wake me up before I've had my seven hours.

My wife has been complaining that the last half-mile of our route is longer that the rest of the route. I decided to check my distances, and I will bring my GPS with us next week to check the mileage. The GPS is supposed to be accurate to about 4 meters (4 satellites) or about 13 feet.

I have a Garmin 110, as shown in the above picture taken from the web.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Did another 2.5 miles

We've had a busy week with visits of a granddaughter, and we ran today instead of yesterday because of those visits. We drove to 100th South and went south to the bench and trees that are north of the East Pavilion. I didn't have a lot of energy during my run and took two rest stops on the way out and three stops on the way back. Each stop was about 40 seconds in length. The stops were short, but they helped a lot. All of the stops were on benches scattered along the path. There was a slight head wind on our way out, and I was looking forward to a tail wind on the way back, but, as often happens, the wind died down while we were coming back to the parking lot.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Ran/walked 2.5 miles again

My wife and I drove to the South Jordan East Pavilion and went south for 1.25 miles and then came back. It was another nice day for running and walking. On our way back, we passed two cyclists going south. They said "Hello" and called us by our names (Judy and Allen). We couldn't tell who they were, but they obviously knew us. Since they knew both of us, we assumed they were from our neighborhood. The temperature was in the low 70s (F).

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ran 2.5 miles again

My wife and I started our workout about 10 am this morning. We parked at the 100th South parking lot and went north, taking the old route through the golf course and towards the light at 90th South and 7th West. We didn't quite get to the light, and that will be our target the next time we increase our distance. I took one short rest break on the way out and one on the way back, at the bench in the Sandy City golf course. There were quite a few people using the path, but they were on bikes, skates, scooters, or walking and pushing baby carriages. I only remember one other person running. Of course, since today was a work-day for many people, most of the people we saw were stay-at-home moms, young kids, and older persons. I forgot to bring my run/walk timer, so I estimated each phase.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Today was a beautiful day for running

My wife and I left home about 9:30 am and drove to the 100th South parking lot. We went south and returned, for a total distance of 2.5 miles. There were a few cyclists, walkers, and one skater on the path. I don't remember seeing other runners.

Fall is the time I enjoy most during the year. The leaves are starting to turn. Nights are cool but daytimes are great! There are still quite a few ducks in the river and geese in nearby fields. I didn't see any quail this morning, though.

The following view of the Jordan River trail, taken from the web, is in West Jordan City, the next town north of where I run. The picture doesn't show any leaves turning, but it is typical of where I run.

Most of the trees along the river are Russian Olive trees. They aren't native to the area but are everywhere. The next picture, taken from the web, shows a closeup of the trees and the small green berries that grow on the trees.

Friday, October 3, 2014

Did another 2.25 miles

My wife and I were out early this morning. We went north from 100th South, following the old path through the Sandy City golf course and the first part of the detour. I did the same as on my previous run and took no rest stops on the way out but took two stops on my way back. I'm getting stronger and was able to go about 1 1/2 miles, at a faster pace, before I started to feel tired. We saw a lot of cyclists on the path, and a few walkers with their dogs but only one other runner. We enjoyed my rest stops, looking at the ducks in the river. It is nice to get away from our problems for an hour or so.