Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Walked about 1/4 mile

My granddaughter was with me today, and I walked about 1/4 mile with her to feed carrots to nearby horses. In addition, I was on my feet for an hour this afternoon but didn't do much walking. Of course, I get a small amount of walking around the house. Today was a wonderful day. We had a good rain two days ago, and today was warm sunshine. Lawns are getting green.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Did another 2 miles

I went running in the early afternoon, using the same 2-mile route that I've used during the past week. The sky was cloudy, mostly overcast, and a few rain drops fell while I was running. Not enough, though, to cause concern. The temperature during my run was in the high 60s (F). Not many people were on the path, probably due to them being at work.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Ran/walked 2 miles

I went running about 2 pm and did 2 miles. For the first quarter mile I used a run/walk ratio of 20/20 (seconds), and then I switched to 20/40 for the rest of the run, although there were a few times that I took an extra 20 seconds walking. The air temperature during my run was in the low 40s (F), and it was great to be outside. Warm with a gentle breeze of 2-4 mph. Quite a few people were on the path taking advantage of the beautiful Spring day.

One car in the parking lot had a 26.2 sticker on its bumper, but the car was gone when I got back. I thus don't know who ran the marathon at some time in the past.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Great weather today. Nice funeral.

Today was a warm, cloudless day. Great for generation of solar power, and great for the graveside part of the funeral. The funeral, held in a church building next to a campus of the Salt Lake Community College, was long (2 hours), but all seven of the man's children spoke and told reasons why they were glad the man was their father. Also, the Bishop (pastor) spoke, and a church leader (LDS), who was a close friend, spoke. After the service, I took red grapes to a different church building that was host to a dinner for family members and relatives of the man, as my contribution to food for the dinner. The dinner was held after the graveside part of the funeral. The man who died was my neighbor and a former governor of the state of Utah.

The following picture, of a typical Mormon funeral, was taken from the web.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Ran/walked another 1.7 miles

Tomorrow is a funeral for a friend, and I may be busy most of the afternoon. So, I went running today and did 1.7 miles again. The sky was mostly clouds, but there were spots of sunshine.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Ran/walked 1.7 miles and then later walked 0.7 miles

Rain and/or snow is predicted for this evening and tomorrow, and we had wind gusts up to 30-40 mph in preparation for the storm. It was difficult running against the gusts, so I walked most of the 1.7 miles. I did run between gusts. Later in the afternoon, my granddaughter drove our jeep around our neighborhood. She didn't like facing the wind gusts, but she enjoyed having the wind at her back to help push her. On my way back from the 1.7 mile route, the wind was at my back, and it was hard to control my pace, because the wind kept pushing me faster than I wanted to go. The sun was shining when I began the 1.7 miles, but towards the end, a lot of dust was carried by the wind, and I couldn't see the mountains that were just a few miles away. The rain came about 7 pm. Not heavy rain, but still, rain.

I learned this evening of the death of a friend, Norm. He is three years older than me. One never knows.....

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Ran/walked 1.7 miles again

I went running in the late afternoon, around 4 pm. For the first 1/3 mile, I used a run:walk ratio of 20 seconds each phase. Then, I changed to 20 seconds running and 40 seconds walking and used that ratio for the remainder of the run. The sun was shinning all the time I was out, and I took off my nylon jacket after a few minutes, because I was heating up. There were a lot of people out today. It's still around high 30s (F) or low 40s at night but high 60s or low 70s in the daytime. Nice for running!

I walked from my car to the beginning of the trail and one of my neighbors went past me on their bikes. They stopped and we talked for a few minutes. The boy is working on his cycling merit badge, and he and his father were on a 30-mile trip along the Jordan River Parkway.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Did 1.7 miles along the Jordan River

I went south from the 100th South trail head and did 1.7 miles. I started alternating running and walking (20  seconds each), but after 1/4 mile or so I turned off my timer and just walked the remaining distance. I was out in the late  afternoon, and the temperature was in the mid 40s (F). This morning I was checked for skin cancers, and the doctor removed two suspects for biopsy. In addition, he froze about a dozen suspects with liquid nitrogen to kill them; he didn't think they were cancerous and didn't remove them for biopsy. I don't know if the stress of this morning affected my running, but I didn't feel like running and walked most of the distance. Walking is much easier on my body than running. I'm old enough that I don't have the energy to run after stressful things, like this morning.

My skin cancers have all been basal cell, which is the least dangerous of the three types of skin cancer. I had my first surgery for skin cancer in 1976 when I was 41. My memory is hazy about that date, but I think that is the correct year.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Walked 1.5 miles along the Jordan River

In the late afternoon, I went running, going south from the 100th South trail head. At first, I was running and walking, using a run/walk ratio of 20 seconds each. After about 1/3 mile, I switched to all walking, because I didn't feel like running. The temperature during my workout was in the mid 60s (F), and there was a lot of sunshine. I saw quite a few cyclists on the path but only a few runners and walkers.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Two trips to feed horses = 1.5 miles

My granddaughter and I made two trips to feed some horses carrots and apples. The two trips equaled about 1.5 miles. I walked and she drove my electric jeep. The temperature was in the low 50s, but it felt colder. Lots of sunshine, though.