Thursday, August 27, 2015

Ran/walked 2 miles

Judy wasn't able to go so I went alone to the Jordan River Parkway and ran south for 1 mile and then returned.  I was out in the early afternoon, and the temperature was in the high 80s (F). Quite a few people were on the path.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Ran half a mile and then aborted

I started running in mid-morning, but after a quarter-mile, I turned around and went back to the parking lot. I was pretty tired and decided it was best that I return home and rest. I could have forced myself to go on, but that would probably have affected me in the coming days.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Ran 2 miles this morning

I went to the Jordan River Parkway this morning and ran/walked 2 miles. I also walked about 1 mile during the week while in Provo attending non-credit classes at BYU. I didn't carry water, because the temperature was in the mid 80s (F). There were a lot of cyclists out this morning and several walkers and a couple of runners. I could have done 2.2 miles again, but I decided not to push myself since I didn't run during the week. I also mowed my lawns later in the afternoon, and I wanted to save some strength for that task.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Again, 2.2 miles

Judy and I were out early this morning, just after the sun came up. We went south from 100th South. Because of clouds, the path was in shade all the way to the turn-around point. On the way back, though, it started to get hot. I filled two bottles with water but forgot to take them. I was fine on the way down, but I took two brief rest stops on the way back, plus a brief rest at the tunnel under 106th South. I could have used the water on the way back, and I got a drink at the parking-lot fountain before I drove home.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Another 2.2 miles

Judy and I went north, starting at 10:55 am. I felt fine on the way out but got tired on the way back. It was awfully hot during my run, and that made me more tired. I carried two cups of water but would have done better with three cups.

In the late afternoon I sprayed weeds in my lawns, and tomorrow I will mow the lawns. I'm trying to do the mowing on non-running days, because the mowing takes a lot out of me. I have a self propelled mower, and I'm not sure why I get so tired, but I do.

The following picture was taken from the web, but it illustrates how I feel when I'm finished....

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Increased my run to 2.2 miles

Judy and I were out at 8:30 this morning. We had a lot of shade on the path. I increased my distance by 0.1 miles, not a lot, but I was tired during the run. I took a brief rest on the bench at the north end of the Sandy golf course, and I also walked through a few running phases. I'm still using a run:walk of 25:40 seconds.

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Did another 2.1 miles

I started running in the late afternoon as the sun was setting. By the time I turned around, the sun was down. It was still light when I returned to the parking lot, but it was dark when I returned home. Even though it was almost dark while I ran, there were still a few people on the path.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Ran a tired 2.1 miles

My wife and daughter-in-law were off looking at the Parade of Homes, so I went alone to the Jordan River Parkway. I was tired and took several rest breaks (going and coming), but I completed my run. I did, though, walk through several running phases of my run/walk. The first part of the run was overcast, but the sun came out during the last half. I didn't carry water and was pretty thirsty when I finished. I made good use of the water fountain at the parking lot, both at the beginning and the end of my run. Quite a few people were on the path, and it was a nice day to be out. During my run last week and Monday of this week, I saw quite a few quail, but I didn't see any today.  The South Jordan maintenance crew was out yesterday putting hot tar on large cracks in the asphalt.

The following picture of cracks was taken from the web.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Ran /walked 2.1 miles under an overcast sky

We had light rain during the night and morning, so I waited until early afternoon to go out. During my run, the temperature was in the mid 60s (F). I ran/walked 2.1 miles and only saw one cyclist while I was out. I've been using a run:walk ratio of 20 seconds:40 seconds, but after about 1/4 of my run I changed the ratio to 25 seconds:40 seconds, and I did fine with that ratio. I took no breaks and felt fine at the end.

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Only ran once this week but did 2.1 miles again

Our granddaughter, Kristen, is visiting with us, and the three of us went to the Jordan River Parkway about 9:45 am and went north from the parking lot. The run was uneventful. I saw one skater pushing a baby cart and several runners. I saw several walkers including two walkers who congratulated me on being active in my old age. I told them my goal was to reach 100 and still be active and that I had 21 years to go. They said they wanted to be active in their old age, and I, jokingly, said we could hold hands and cross the finish line together when I turn 100. I took one short break on the bench at the south end of the Sandy golf course (on my way back); the break was at a distance of about 1.1 miles. I drank about 1-3/4 cups of water; I poured the remaining water (plus another 1/2 cup) on my head after I finished the run. I was sweating, and the water running down my head felt great!

The following picture was taken from the web.