Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Repeated the 2.25 mile run

I used the same route and ratio as I did on Monday and repeated the 2.25 mile run. The temperature was in the mid 80s (F) when I left home, and it was hot. I carried 3 bottles of water (1 bottle = 1 cup) and drank it all. There wasn't much shade on the path, because I jogged/walked in the mid afternoon, but I was glad for the patches of shade here and there. When I went from the sun to a shady spot, I could feel the difference. It was a relief to get a few seconds of shade. I took longer sitting breaks to help me recover from the heat. I drank all of the water I carried, and I also took drinks from the parking lot fountain before and after my run. I didn't see many people on the path (they had enough sense to stay out of the sun), but I did see a few people.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Increased distance to 2.25 miles

Today is forecast to be the hottest day so far this year, so I was out early to miss the heat; I was out at 8 am. Because of the early time, there was quite a lot of shade on the path, and I appreciated that shade. The shade temperature during my run was in the low 60s (F). I felt tired but pretty good during and at the end of the run, using my ratio of 80:60 seconds for jogging:walking. There were a lot of people on the path, especially cyclists and walkers.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

2 more miles to end the week

Today was forecast to be a hot day, but the weather turned out to not be quite so hot. The temp was in the mid 70s (F) when I left home about 10 am. There was a small breeze blowing during my run, and that helped my body dissipate some heat. I saw quite a few runners, walkers, and cyclists on the path.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

2 more miles in hot weather

I ran this morning and did 2 miles, using the 80:60 ratio. I didn't carry water even though it was hot. I stopped to rest briefly for a minute or so, mostly to recover from the heat. The shade temperature was in the 80s, probably in the 90s in the sun. Because I was out in the morning, there was some shade on the path. I saw quite a few people on the path, mostly cyclists.

Monday, June 20, 2016

2 miles with more jogging

The temperature today was in the 90s (F), so I waited until evening to go out. The shade temperature when I left home was 88. Because of the setting-sun, there was a lot of shade of the path, especially on the way back. I didn't carry water, but I had a good drink at the parking lot when I first arrive there and another good drink when I finished my run. I added 10 seconds of jogging giving me a ratio of 80:60 seconds, jogging:walking. I think I will stop increasing my jogging and will go for a longer distance, beginning with next week. I'll keep the 80:60 ratio and go to a distance of 2.6 miles (there is a bench at the 1.3 mile point which will make a good turn-around point.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Another 2 miles plus a lot of sweat

Today was a nice day for running, but it was hot, in the high 80s. There was a slight breeze blowing (gusts of 10 mph) which helped with the heat. I only had four hours of sleep last night, and I wasn't expecting to go very far, but I felt fine and continued running until I reached my normal turnaround point.  Once I was there I had no choice but to jog/walk the mile back to my car. I carried no water but felt fine during my run. I was glad, though, for the fountain in the parking lot next to my car. I used my normal ratio of jogging and walking of 70:60 in minutes. I'm not sure why, but it is common for me to feel pretty good after a night of insufficient sleep, and then in a day or two I feel the effects of lack of sleep. I think it may be related to my body condition prior to getting insufficient sleep. I took a several hour nap this afternoon and feel fine this evening.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Another repeat for 2 miles

I followed the same route and the same ratio as last time. The temperature was in the mid 89s (F), so I carried water. I've been carrying two one-cup bottles, but today I carried three bottles since the temperature was expected to be high (I drank 2 1/2 bottles). The wind was blowing all day (gusts up to 20 mpg or so), and that reduced the effect of the heat. It was hard running and walking against the wind, but nice on the way back to have a tail-wind. I saw quite a few people on the path, including several policemen and one policewoman from the nearby academy. The police people do their timed runs on the path, but the ones I saw today were running training runs. The men all called me "sir" which was strange, so I looked at their t-shirts as they passed and saw that they were from the academy. They all wore blue shorts and gray t-shirts, which is the academy running uniforms. In the following picture, which was taken from the web, not all the cadets are wearing the "uniform" that I saw today and have seen in the past. Also, they are on a track instead of on the Jordan River Parkway.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Repeated my route and jogging/walking ratio

I ran 2 miles again, using a ratio of 70 seconds jogging and 60 seconds walking for most of the run. I got tired, due I think to not quite enough sleep, and I used a ratio of 30 seconds and 60 seconds during a small part of the run. When I first started, the sky was cloudy, and I wore long pants. But, on the way back, the clouds dissipated and the temperature increased. I took off my wind breaker and tied it around my waist. There were quite few people on the path.

I would like to increase the distance of my run and the amount of jogging I do, but, for now, I'm concentrating on increasing the amount of jogging.

I saw a mother duck and her ducklings foraging in some grass at the edge of the path. The ducklings were relatively large, indicating they were born in the early Spring. I saw a few quail, too, but no small babies. I saw one quail that was smaller than the other quail, and it may gave been a baby born in the early Spring.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Increased the amount of jogging and ran about 2.1 miles

It was windy and cloudy when I left home. The Parkway path was wet from the rain, and there were a few drops falling. After I had gone about 1/2 mile, it started to rain, and I turned around and headed back to the car. However, after a minute of rain, it stopped, and I turned around and continued my workout. I added 10 seconds of jogging and used a ratio of 70 seconds jogging and 60 seconds walking, alternating the two.

There were a lot of cyclists on the path and a few walkers, but I was the only runner.  It rained for another minute while I was on the path, but the wind, about 15 mph gusts, dried my wind breaker, and it was a pleasant run.

Thursday, June 9, 2016

2 miles again

The temperature today is predicted to be in the mid 90s (F), so my wife and I were out early when the temperature was in the mid 70s. She walked 0.62 miles and I did 2.0 miles, going around our neighborhood. Part of my jog/walk was along a canal road, and I saw several mother ducks and her ducklings in the water. I stopped to talk for a few minutes with a neighbor, and I confirmed my home teaching appointment with them on Father's Day in two weeks.

Later: I waited until 6 pm, when the temperature was down to the high 80s (F) and then I mowed my lawns. I'm always glad to get that job done for the week, but I do have to admit that the yard looks nice with the lawns mowed.

Monday, June 6, 2016

Another 2 miles, but a different route

My wife, while she was in Europe visiting our daughter, was in a bicycle accident and banged up her knee. Because of this, she hasn't walked for exercise since she came home. Today was the first time she went walking with me. She walked 0.6 miles around our neighborhood, and I continued for a total of 2 miles. I wore my Garmin GPS watch to check my mileage. Today was hot, in the mid 90s  (F), so we waited until early evening to go out when the temperature was down in the low 80s. I carried two cups of water and used all of it. I only had about four hours sleep last night plus a good nap, and I was pretty tired when I finished.

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Another 2 miles, again

I used my 60:60 (seconds) ratio of jogging and walking and went South for a total of 2 miles. I only took one brief rest stop going out and one brief stop coming back plus a brief stop at the turn-around point. When I ran on Tuesday, I took only a brief stop at the turn-around point (there are fewer benches on the northern route). Today, the shade temperature was in the mid 80s (F), and I carried two cups of water. I felt fine during the run. The sky was a mixture of sun and haze.

On my way back, I talked for a few minutes with an older guy who was on a bike. I had talked with him last week when he was running. He turns 71 this month. We both feel that we live day by day and do the best we can. Some days are great and some days aren't. We take them as they come.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Effect of Warfarin

In my previous post, I mentioned the discoloring of my calves due to my taking Warfarin. I thought I would elaborate a bit on this.

My automobile accident in May 2004 and the following 3 weeks in the ICU caused blood clots, and I was put on Warfarin to control the clots. One side effect of Warfarin is the discoloring of ones calves and feet. I was told by a doctor that the discoloring would be permanent, and I think she is right. I've been off Warfarin for several years, but my calves are still discolored, and the discoloring has not changed. I was taken off Warfarin when I had no new clots, but the clots returned and I'm currently on Eliquis as a blood thinner. Actually, these meds don't affect the density of the blood and hence aren't a blood thinner, even though they are called that. These meds affect the ability of the blood to coagulate.