Saturday, July 30, 2016

Ran 2.6 miles again in hot temperatures

I ran 2.6 miles again, going south from 100th South. I had reasonable shade going out and felt pretty good, but coming back there was less shade and I was tired. I carried 3 bottles of water and ran out of water when I had just 1/4 mile left. I was glad to finish my run and get a good drink from the fountain at 100th South. The temperature when I finished was in the low 90s (F).

Monday, July 25, 2016

I only went 1.5 miles today

My wife and I have three grandchildren staying with us for a couple of days, and we're planning on taking them to the South Jordan rec center for swimming. A cool swim is nice on hot days! While the kids are swimming, I will jog and walk around the indoor track at the rec center, and I will do 1.1 miles, giving me 2.6 miles for the two days. This is the reason I went a shorter distance today. Also, if I don't work out at the rec center, I can use a rest-week. I haven't had a rest-week in quite a while. For younger runners, rest-weeks are usually about half of a normal week. For us older runners, rest-weeks are what ever is needed to recharge ones body.

While I was resting on a bench on the way back, a walker in her mid 60s stopped and talked with me. She has seen me several times on the Parkway path, and she wondered how old I am. She was amazed that I'm still running. Her mother, who is about my age, walks the path, but she uses a walker. I told her I don't go as fast or as far as I used to go, but that I'm still running because I enjoy it.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Another 2.6 miles but a different route

I went north from 100th South, and I used my GPS tell me how far I've gone. I went 1.8 miles and then turned around and returned to my car. There is a bench at the 1 mile marker, and I took a short break at that bench. I carried two bottles of water and used the water on the way back. I had nice shade going out but not much shade on the way back due to the mid-morning sun. I made another rest stop at the bench I spoke of, and another rest stop at the table that is under a roof at about 0.4 miles from my car. I also made a brief stop at a bench that is close to my car, and then I jogged the rest of the way back to my starting point.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Ran 2.6 miles again

I repeated my run of 2.6 miles. It's nice to reach the bench at the turn around point. I felt better than I did last time. One reason is that I was out earlier and had more shade. I was on the trail at 8 am. In addition, my body is starting to get used to jogging longer and the longer distance. I did more walking, but not as much as last time. In addition, I alternated jogging and walking all the way back, while last time I walked almost all of the last 0.75 miles. The coming week is predicted to be hot, and by hot I mean temperatures up to 100 or more. As long as I get out early, I'll be OK.

Monday, July 18, 2016

2.6 miles and now using a timer

I've been counting steps and making the assumption that two steps (one use of my left leg) equals one second. I bought a timer to measure the jogging and walking phases of my running, and today was the first time I've used the timer. Assuming one left-leg step is one second is pretty close for walking, but I need about 97 left-leg steps when jogging for 80 seconds. The result of this is that what I've called 80 seconds in the past is actually less than 80 seconds, and I need to add about 17 left-leg steps to get to 80 seconds.

Today, I jogged for 80 seconds (using the timer) or about 97 left-leg steps for my jogging. That is a big increase. I also added to my distance so I could reach the bench that is south of 106th South. I did all of this without carrying water, and the shade temperature when I returned home was 91 (F). I got pretty tired on the way back and walked most of the last 3/4 mile. I walked, because I got dizzy if I jogged. I should have refrained from adding to my distance such that my body could adjust to the larger number of left-leg steps in my jogging phase. And, I should have carried water. Oh, well, I made it back to my car. When I go out running on Wednesday, I'll carry water. I'll continuing using the timer (97 left-leg steps) for my jogging, and I'll continue running to the bench south of 106th South. It will take a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to all of this.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

2.4 miles with a cloudy sky

I left home in mid morning to catch some of the shade before it disappeared. However, the sky was cloudy, and most of my run was in partial shade from the clouds. It did get hot during the last half mile, and I was glad to get a big drink of water when I finished. I went south from 100th South, and my wife went north to see the new homes that are being built. A lot of cyclists and walkers were on the path.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Another 2.4 miles and lots of quail

I was on the path about 9 am to enjoy the shade and high 60 (F) temps. When I finished the cadets from the police academy were just starting a timed run. I talked with the Sgt. who was conducting the run to find out when the cadets use the Parkway for their timed runs (2nd Thursday about 11 am). One thing nice about increasing my distance. I not only am getting used to the new distance, I'm also getting even more used to the smaller distances that I pass as I go toward the new distance, and I'm getting used to what ever ratio of running and walking that I use.

I saw several quail, including several small babies. This is the first time I've seen this year small babies.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Added a bit to my distance to give me 2.4 miles

Today was a cooler day, so I went running in the afternoon. I continued using the ratio of 80:60, but I added to my distance and did 2.4 miles. There were a lot of cyclists on the path.

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Not quite so hot and did 2.25 miles again

Today was a hot day, so I waited until evening to go running. I hit the trail about 7 pm. There was a lot of shade of the trail. In fact, the sun was just setting behind the Oquirrh Mountains when I returned to the parking lot. The temperature was 89 (F) when I started and 81 when I finished. I knew the temperature would go down, so I didn't carry water with me. On the way out, I didn't see many people on the path, but on the way back I saw a lot of cyclists.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

No water during run, but still did 2.25 miles

I was on the Parkway path at 10 am. There was a significant amount of shade, and I appreciated it. I didn't carry water, because the shade temperature when I left home was 80 (F). I did fine until about half way back when I because thirsty. I only had 1/2 mile left in my run, and I hung on without water until I reached the parking lot and had a good drink of water. I used a ratio of 80:60 for most of the run, but I used 80:70 for part of the run.

Monday, July 4, 2016

About 1 mile of walking

My wife and I drove to the city of Magna to see our grandkids march in the local parade. I think I walked about a mile going to and coming from the parade. It was hot during the parade, and some of the kids in the parade squirted water on those watching the parade. They also threw candy to the younger kids who were watching. Both of my grand kids are on the Pirate Swimming team.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Continued running 2.25 miles

My wife and I went to a church meeting at 7:30 this morning. We were home by 10 am. I took a nap, and then I went running, doing 2.25 miles with a ratio of 80:60 seconds for jogging and walking. I didn't see many runners or walkers on the path, but there were a lot of cyclists, including one 4 or 5 year old on a small bike.

The temperature during my run was in the high 80s (F), and it was hot. I was on the path at 12:30 pm, and there weren't many shady spots. Just the hot sun. The temperature given above was a shade temperature, and the temperature in the sun was probably close to 100. I carried three bottles of water (each bottle holding 1cup), and I drank 2 1/2 bottles. After I finished my run, I poured the last 1/2 bottle on my head to cool me off. I've always maintained that running in the summer and winter is for survival, and that was my goal today: just survive and return to my car. I took several rest breaks, and those breaks were longer than usual because of the heat.