Thursday, October 27, 2016

Ran/walked 2.0 miles again

Nothing unusual happened. The air temperature was in the high 60s (F), unusually warm for this time of year. A south wind of 5-10 mph was blowing. I took off my nylon wind breaker when I turned around and headed north; the wind was now a tail wind, and I started to sweat, thus removing my wind breaker.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Ran and walked 2.0 miles again

I went south from the trailhead at 100th South for a mile and then turned around and came back to my car. It is one mile from the trailhead at 100th South to the tunnel under 106th South. I talked for a few seconds or so with a man who was feeding the cats I've been seeing along the trail. He said there are at least 5 cats.

The temperature was in the low 60s (F), and it was a nice day to be outside. A 10-15 mph south wind was blowing that made it a bit harder to go south, and I was glad when I turned around and went north such that the wind was now a tail wind. Once I no longer faced the wind, I started to sweat, and I took off my rain jacket and wrapped it around my waist.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Ran/walked 2.0 + 1.8 = 3.8 miles

I knew that my son, Chad, and his family were coming over for an afternoon hike in Sandy, so I went early to the Jordan River Parkway and ran/walked 2.0 miles, using my 80 seconds:60 seconds ratio. I went early so I would have some recovery-time before the hike. Chad was an hour late in getting to my house, and we decided to walk the Jordan River Parkway instead of the Salt Lake valley trail in Sandy. I walked about 1.8 miles on the Parkway.

There were a lot of runners, walkers, and cyclists on the Parkway this morning. I knew from the color of their T-shirts and running shorts that many of the guys were from the Police Academy. There were a few people using the Parkway this afternoon, but not as many as there were this morning. The weather was warm for this time of year, and I took off my rain jacket during my morning and afternoon runs.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

2.0 Miles again

It was getting dark when I left home, but I did 2.0 miles again, doing most of the run in the dark. I had no problems seeing the trail, even though it is dark asphalt, because lights from buildings about 1/4 mile away were enough for me to see the trail. I saw a few runners, walkers, and cyclists on the path, although they were finishing their runs while I was just starting my run. The temperature was in the 50s (F) during my run, a nice temperature for running. I used my 80 seconds:60 seconds ratio of running:walking, although I walked the last half mile because my legs were getting tired.

I saw three cats at the 1/2 mile point. I think two were Persian cats and one was a black cat, although it was hard to see them in the dark. I've seen two of the cats before (one Persian and one black) in the same general area, but this is the first time I've seen three cats.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I did 2.0 miles on a cloudy day with moments of sunshine

I went south from the trailhead at 100th South, planning to do 1.5 miles, but, when I reached the turn around point, I felt pretty good and kept on going. I did turn around at 1.0 miles and returned to my car, for a total of 2.0 miles. There were a number of others on the trail. The temperature was in the low 50s (F), and it was a nice day for running. I made a big jump today, and I need to repeat the 2.0 miles several times before I increase my distance. I think future jumps will be small, on the order of 5-10% to allow my body to adjust to the increase.

I only ran once last week, because I was on my feet a lot during the week and decided it best to give my body more rest. I was spraying my brick patios with Johnson stuff to keep the bricks from absorbing water during the winter (the water will freeze, expand, and chip the bricks). I didn't walk much distance during this time, but I was on my feet for most of the days.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Another great day, and I jogged/walked 1.5 miles

The shade temperature was in the low 60s (F), and the sky was mostly overcast. I wore long pants and a long sleeved T-shirt to keep warm, but I was over dressed and was starting to sweat when I finished. I did 1.5 miles, and I will do that same distance for a couple more runs. Then, I will jump up to 2.0 miles.

There were quite a few people on the path today. Several runners and walkers, and several cyclists. One cyclist passed me going the opposite direction, and said "keep it up" as she passed. A few minutes later she caught up with me and slowed down and asked my age. I told her "81" and she said it was wonderful to see me on the path. I felt pretty good during my run, and I appreciate her kind remarks. Her remarks help me to be motivated to get out every other day.

Saturday, October 8, 2016

A beautiful day, and I jogged/walked 1.0 miles again

I was on the trail about noon, and there were quite a few people on the path: runners, walkers, cyclists, and one skater. The shade temperature was in the 70s (F), and no wind was blowing. The sky was blue with white Cumulus clouds, and I felt great. I'm getting used to the 1.0 mile distance, and I'm about ready to go for 1.5 miles, another big jump. I'm only going every other day, so I have plenty of time to recover before the next run. I'm getting back to my previous distance, and when I reach 2 miles, I will go back to the 5-10% increases.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Rain showers and then 1.0 mile in sunshine and clouds

The rain and thunder stopped about 2 pm, and I went to the Parkway trail head at 100th South and went south for a total of 1 mile. I had the trail to myself and only saw two other runners; one was ahead of me, and the other was passed on my way back. No cyclists or walkers. The shade temperature was 49 (F) when I left home. Wind gusts were about 2-5 mph, just a breeze.

Monday, October 3, 2016

I ran/walked my 1-mile route going south from 100th South. I'm still using the 80 seconds:60 seconds ratio of running:walking. Today was a cloudy day, and there weren't many people using the path. I only saw two other runners and one cyclist. The temperature was in the low 50s (F) with north-wind gusts of about 5-10 mph.