Monday, July 31, 2017

Did another 1.8 miles

I waited until the sun was going down, and I went running and walking and did 1.8 miles again, going south from 100th South. I felt fine during the race and didn't get dizzy. I carried no water but had a big drink at the beginning of the run and another big drink  at the end of the run, using the fountain at the parking lot of 100th South. The sun was down when I returned to my car, and it got dark soon thereafter.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Did 1.8 miles going south

For the past few days, I've been baby-sitting a new freeze-dryer to be sure there wern't any leaks and that the machine was behaving properly. As a result, I've only gotten 3-4 hours sleep each night. I thus didn't run on Wednesday. I got more sleep last night and ran today. If I had run this morning, it would have been in the late morning, but since the projected max for the day was in the mid 90s (F), I elected to wait until evening when the sun was going down and the temperature was cooler; the temperature during my run was in the low to mid 80s, and there was a lot of shade due to the evening sun getting low in the sky. I enjoyed my run and felt pretty good! I didn't carry any water, but I had big drinks at the beginning and end of the run. I didn't get dizzy during the run.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Did About 1.75 miles

My wife and I began our runs at 10:30 am, going north from the parking lot at 100th South. The temperature was in the mid to high 80s (F), and the shade was less than it would have been if we had gone out earlier, but shade was still available and helpful. I took no rest breaks going out, but I took the two usual breaks on the way back. I carried three bottles of water and only had a small amount of water left when I reached my car. I got pretty tired on the way back. I used my normal 80 seconds/60 seconds ratio of run/walk on the way out, but I reduced the ratios on the way back to give myself more rest between jogs (in addition to the reduction of the ratios, I did more walking and less jogging).

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

I did 1.65 miles

My wife and I started our runs earlier than we've been doing. I was on the path at 9:10. The temperature was in the high 70s, and the sky was mostly cloudy. My wife went north from 100th South to check out the houses being built, and I went south; I ran to the bench at 0.825 miles and then returned. I carried 3 bottles of water and had about 1/2 bottle left when I returned to my car. I haven't used the southern route for two or three weeks, and it was nice to do that route again. I'm still using my ratio of 80 seconds/60 seconds for my run/walks. I saw quite a few cyclists on the path, but only a few runners and walkers.

Utah is currently undergoing a heat wave. News summaries yesterday said the state is giving fans to senior citizens to help them keep cool. In my case, I'm still jogging and walking in the heat wave. I'm drinking extra water and going shorter distances. We've had high 90s (F) and low 100s for several weeks.

Monday, July 17, 2017

I ran/walked about 1.35 miles around the neighborhood

My wife had a 10:00 appointment, so to save travel time, which is about half an hour round trip, we ran around the neighborhood; each loop around the neighborhood is 0.62 miles. Judy, who did the loop yesterday, did one loop this morning, and I did 2 loops plus part of the third loop. The temperature was in the high 70s (F), and there was quite a lot of shade. I prefer the Jordan River Parkway, because it is away from street traffic and is the closest thing to New England back roads, but running in the neighborhood has the advantage of no time lost in travel to and from the Parkway. The following picture is from the web but is typical of the Parkway in the south end of the Salt Lake valley.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

I did 1.6 miles again

The temperature during our run was in the low to mid 80s (F). My wife and I were on the Jordan River Parkway trail about 10:30 this morning. This is a bit earlier than I've been out for the past few runs. I felt stronger and didn't get dizzy at all. I carried 3 bottles of water and had about half a bottle left when I finished my run. When I was younger and stronger, I would  drink a bottle each mile. Now, I need about one bottle and a half every mile. If it is really hot, I'll drink more water and use two bottles each mile.

One of the houses that we go by is going to be in the Salt Lake Parade of Homes later this month,  and my wife likes to check on the progress being made. In the past, we've seen a man putting in a sprinkler system. Today, we discovered the path to the house has been paved, and the landscapers are planting trees; some of the trees are pretty tall. The person buying that house must have a lot of money, because of the big house and expensive landscaping. The following picture is from the web.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Did 1.6 miles again

The temperature today was a  bit cooler than during my last run, so I did 1.6 miles again, using the same route as I did on my previous run. I took rest breaks at the two benches I mentioned during my previous post, and I didn't get dizzy at all. I carried three bottles of water and had about 1/4 bottle left when I finished the run.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Did 1.6 miles

I was on the path at 11 am, later than last week, but today was a bit cooler, and I did OK thanks to clouds blocking the sun. The air temperature during my run was in the mid to high 80s (F). I felt pretty good when I reached the 0.75 marker, so I went a bit further, doing 1.6 miles for the round trip. Clouds blocked most of the sun during my run, but the sun was shining on the path during the last 0.4 miles, and I walked most of the 0.4 miles. I carried 2 bottles of water and drank it all, taking the last one or two gulps of water after I was back in my car. On the way back, I took a long rest break at the table which is 0.4 miles from the parking lot, and I took a shorter rest break at the bench which is about 0.2 from the parking lot. After my long break at the table, I felt a few seconds of being dizzy while walking, and I took deep breaths to get more oxygen. That deep breathing seemed to help. Even though the temperature was lower than I had expected, the relative humidity was higher, and it seemed "muggy"; scattered showers are forecast for the next day or so.

My wife Judy walks faster than I do, and she went further than I did. She enjoys looking at the houses that are being built next to the path,  and she wishes she could go through the houses.

A woman on a bike called me by name as she went by and said, "I know you". It turned out that I used to tune her piano. She lives about a block from my house.

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Did 1.7 miles but going back to 1.5 miles

I started my run at 9 am, an hour later than I should have been out but better than many days in the past. I carried three bottles of water and used about 2 1/2 bottles. The air temperature was hot during my run. On the way back, I got tired and took a long break at the table that is about 0.4 miles from the parking lot at 100th South, or after I had gone about 1.3 miles.

I've always had the philosophy that summer running is for survival, and today proved that point. Rather than just "survive", I increased my distance, and as a result I got tired on the way back. Until the temperature goes down, I think I will cap my run at 1.5 miles and run and walk to "survive" the heat. I'm glad I had the water bottles, because I needed the water. The forecast is slightly cooler on Monday, so we shall see how I feel. I didn't eat before my run this morning, so I was going on energy from last evening. I've always run on an empty stomach, so the lack of energy this morning was probably due to my old age, to the hot weather, and to the lack of sleep last night; I had about 6 hours of sleep. I took a 1/2 hour nap when I got home, but I still was tired during the day.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Another 1.5 miles

I was on the path by 7:30 this morning, and there was a lot of shade! I went 0.75 miles out and 0.75 miles back, going north from 100th South. I drank two bottles of water but carried three bottles. Two bottles of water seems to be enough water when there is a lot of shade of the path and the air temperature is in the 70s (F). Three bottles of water is enough when there is less shade and the air temperature is higher. I felt fine during my run today but was tired at the end due to only getting 4 1/2 hours sleep last night. I wasn't dizzy, though, indicating I had enough water for the distance and temperature. I had a good drink before I left home and another drink in the parking lot before I started the run. I also had a smaller drink in the parking lot at the end of my run. I've been taking two rest breaks, one after 1.1 miles (on my way back) and the second one after 1.35 miles (also on my way back). Today, I skipped the first rest break, and I took a break at the bench at 1.35 miles. Because I was out early, that bench still was in the shade.

This has been a hot week, and the heat is predicted to continue during the week.  The peak temperature today was about 102 (F), and I'm glad I went running in the morning when the temperature was lower than the peak. The temperatures this week have been about 10 degrees above normal, and I don't know how long this heat-wave will last.

Monday, July 3, 2017

I did 1.5 miles again

My wife and I walked and jogged the Jordan River Parkway, going north from 100th South. I'm going north, because it has more shade than the south route. My wife found my fuel belt, and I carried four botles (cups) of water and used three of them. We were late getting out on the trail, and there wasn't much shade on the path. I was glad for the extra water. I felt tired during the run, but I didn't get dizzy.


Saturday, July 1, 2017

Did 1.5 miles again

My wife and I went walking and jogging in the late morning. I carried 8 oz (1 cup) of water, but it wasn't enough. I got dizzy a bit on the way back, due to the heat, but it wasn't bad enough to cause me to abort the run. I went north from 100th South to catch what was left of the morning shade. We finished at 11 am, and it would have been nice if we were out an hour earlier -- more shade and less heat due to the shade and lower night-time temperature. After we got home, stopping on the way back at Home Depot while Judy purchased some manure for her garden, I took an hour nap. I didn't feel any dizziness during the rest of the day.

During the nighttime, due to the darkness and my waking up from a sleep, I have felt a small amount of dizziness, and I use my cane to provide stability while I go to the bathroom to relieve myself. During the daytime, I haven't been using the cane because I haven't felt dizziness, and I'm able to conduct normal daytime activities, such as mowing my lawn, moving around the house, and shopping. I am trying to drink extra water during the day and nighttime, to keep my body hydrogenated. I prefer running in the morning, because I feel stronger and have energy from supper the night before. I do require more rest breaks during heavy activities, such as mowing my lawn, than I used to require. I remember that a few years ago, I could mow my lawns in 45 minutes. Now, it takes a couple of hours.