Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Added a bit and did a heavy run of 2.9 miles

Using my usual route, I ran and walked to the bench that is at the south end of the large curve to the right that is just south of the bench that is 0.3 miles south of the tunnel under 106th South. The temperature was in the high 40s (F), and I felt fine during the run, although I took a lot of short rest breaks on the way back. Some of the breaks were sitting on benches and some were standing and leaning on the wooden rail that lines the path. I will need to do this distance several times before I add more to my distance. There is a bench not far from the East Pavilion, and that bench might make a good place to turnaround when I do add more to my distance. If I stop at that bench, my next stop will be the water fountain at the East Pavilion.

Monday, January 29, 2018

Did a light run of 2.1 miles

I ran and walked my usual route in mid afternoon. The temperature during my run was in the low 50s (F). The power generated by my solar cells set a new high for this month. The snow has mostly melted, and quite a few runners, walkers, and cyclists were on the path. The walkers were mostly persons with dogs.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Did another 2.75 heavy run/walk

I jogged and walked my usual route in the late afternoon. The temperature was in the low 40s (F). There were quite a few people on the path; most of them were walkers and their dogs. I ate some food about an hour before I left home, and I didn't feel well during the first part of the run. However, I felt fine during the latter part of the run and enjoyed myself. I wore 3 layers on my main body and two layers on my legs, and I felt fine as far as temperature goes.

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Did a light run of 2.1 miles

Today was a cloudy day, although the temperature was in the low 40s. I ran my usual route, going south from 100th South. There was a 10 mph south wind blowing, and that wind made it seem colder than the actual temperature. There were a number of people walking dogs, and a few runners on the path. I also saw 3 trucks from South Jordan City; the workers were clearing brush from the edges of the path. I got pretty tired and stopped several times for short breaks (1 minute) on the way back. I also did extra walking on the way back. I was on the trail at noon, and I hadn't had any breakfast or lunch, thus reducing the energy I had for running. We're supposed to have more snow tonight, and the cloudy weather probably means snow is on its way.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Did a heavy run of about 2.75 miles (added a bit from the last heavy run)

I left home in the late afternoon, and the temperature was about 32 (F). The path, going south from 100th South) was plowed, and most of the path was dry. The only ice on the path was in shady spots. I enjoyed my run and added a bit, going south from the bench that has been my turnaround point during the past couple of weeks to the big turn to the right; I stopped and turned around at a green reforest sign that is a couple of hundred yards north (before) of the bench in the middle of the big turn. It will take me a couple of weeks, but I soon will be at the trail head at the East Pavilion.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

No run today

We had about a foot of snow during the night, and a light snow fell much of the day. I decided to skip my run today and to have this past week be a rest week. It wasn't much of a rest, though, because I was outside for a couple of hours, shoveling my driveway and sidewalks. A man and his son came by and helped me shovel snow. I appreciated their stopping to help. Another man stopped his car and offered to help, as I was doing my neighbor's sidewalk. I thanked him for his offer of help and explained that I was almost finished with my shoveling. We shook hands, and he drove away.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Did another light run/walk

I did 2.0 miles in mid-day. The temperature was in the low 50s (F), and it was warm and nice. I saw a lot of walkers and dogs on the path. Interestingly, the dogs were mostly small dogs with short legs. One man had let his dog run free, but when the man saw me, he put his leash on the dog. I took several short rest breaks on the way back, because I felt tired. I didn't have much for breakfast, and I lacked energy for the distance.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Did another heavy run of 2.6 miles

I just returned from a 2.6 mile jog and walk. The temperature during my run was about 34 (F), and my four layers kept me nice and warm. There was no wind during my run. I left home after the sun had set but before it was dark. By the time I had run 1/2 mile, it was dark. I saw one runner and two cyclists on the path. All three had bright LED lights turned on. I got back about 7 pm.

I like to run without lights, because I can see the path better. There are buildings with lights on about 1/4 mile away, so it isn't difficult to see the path. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the path, so there is no likelihood that I will get run over due to the darkness. Well, I guess there is a slight chance I might be hit by cyclists, but they usually have lights on their bikes and can see me. I can tell they are coming due to their lights shining on the path, and I make sure I'm on the edge of the path while they pass by. The same goes for other runners and walkers. When it is dark, I usually run in the middle of the path where the probability of pot holes is low and I have more room to maneuver in the darkness.

The following picture of darkness was taken from the web. The picture shows what nighttime running is all about.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Did another light run/walk of 2.0 miles

My wife and I went to the Jordan River Parkway in the late afternoon. The temperature was in the mid 40s (F), and there was lots of sun. Quite a few people were on the path. I wore four layers on my upper body, and I started getting too warm before the end of the run; I should have word three layers. If I were younger and went faster, two layers would have been sufficient.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Did another 2.6 miles heavy run

The air temperature was 41 (F) during our run and walk. It was sprinkling rain when we left home. After about a half-hour, the rain stopped, and by the time I got back to the parking lot, the sun had come out. There were several walkers and runners on the path. I went to the bench south of the 106th South bridge, for a round trip of 2.6 miles. Judy walked her usual 2.0 miles. She is faster than I am, and she has to wait for me; she brought a book to read while she was waiting.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Did a light run of 1.9 miles

Rain was forecast for late afternoon and this evening, so Judy and I went jogging and walking about 1 pm, going south from 100th South. The sky was partially cloudy when we left home (the temperature was in the mid 30s (F)) but was overcast when we returned home. I didn't see other runners on the path, and I only saw a couple of walkers.

It's 5 pm now, and the rain hasn't started yet.

During the morning, I took the vacuum pump apart that is used with our freeze-dryer and cleaned the insides of the pump. The small window, that is used to measure the amount of oil in the pump, was cloudy and obscured the level of oil in the pump, and I sprayed the inside of the window and wiggled the pump cover to clean the window. I cleaned the dirty oil from inside the pump, and I put the pump together and put the correct amount of filtered oil in the pump. The pump is now ready for use, and I'm waiting until Judy has prepared the food to be freeze-dried. It takes about 24-30 hours for a batch of food to be processed, and high electric usage happens during that time.

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Did another heavy run

I ran and walked for 2.6 miles today. It was sprinkling when I left home, and the light rain continued during my run. The temperature was 31 (F) when I left home. I wasn't sure how well my nylon windbreaker would keep me dry, so I put on another shirt to absorb any water that made it through the windbreaker. When I got home, I removed the windbreaker and felt the running shirt that I had been wearing to absorb moisture. The long sleeves of the shirt seemed dry, but the shirt around the collar seemed a bit damp. It's been a couple of years since I sprayed Silicone on my windbreaker, and I think I need to spray the jacket and my running pants again.

I saw two other runners on the path today. As I expected, there were no other runners, walkers, skaters, or cyclists on the path. Instead of being hard-core about their exercise, those folks who were not on the path today seem to be fair-weather folks, enjoying being out when it is dry but staying inside during rain storms. I think today was a great day for being outside. I wore enough layers to be warm during my run, and I protected myself from the rain by wearing a windbreaker and a hat. The secret of success is wearing what is needed for the conditions that exist.

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Did a light run and added a bit for 1.8 miles

Judy and I went out in mid-day when the temperature was in the high 30s (F). I wore three layers and was warm, although the sun felt good. I ate 2 fried eggs just before I left, so my breathing wasn't the greatest, but I felt fine during the run, except I took a couple of short breaks on the way back.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Did a heavy run of 2.6 miles

In the late afternoon, Judy and I drove to the parking lot at 100th South, and I did 2.6 miles, adding a bit to my heavy run. I went to the bench that is 0.3 miles south of 106th South. The temperature when we left home was 40 (F), and it was 32 when we returned. I took no breaks during my run, and I will need several occurrences of this distance to get used to it. I wore four layers on my body and two layers on my legs. I wore my light running gloves, but my fingers still were cold. The rest of my body was fine, though. I saw several runners and walkers on the path and one skater. I was back at my car just before it became dark. When I was younger, my fingers would warm up after 1 1/2 miles, but they stayed cold during the last half of this run. I guess my blood circulation is not as good in my old body as it was when I was younger.

One runner, whom I have never met, called me by my first name when he passed me, and I think he has been reading this blog.

South Jordan City has a glass recycling bin at the parking lot, and my wife put several empty bottles in the bin, bottles that had held Martinelli non-alcoholic fruit juice. My grandkids who visited my home during the Christmas holidays drank the juice. My wife and I drank water.