Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Today was a medium run

My wife and I were out early in the morning when the temperature was about 34 (F). We did a medium walk of 0.6 miles.

Most of the leaves on my neighbor's walnut tree have fallen to the ground, so this use of my lawn mower to get leaves will be done today but not for a few days after that. I need to suck up leaves this morning so the sidewalk will be clear for the kids who come trick or treating this evening.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Did another rest run

Judy and I went walking in mid-morning. In keeping with my new schedule, we did a rest walk of 0.4 miles. There was a slight breeze blowing from the North, and the temperature was in the low 40s (F). Tomorrow is a medium walk of 0.6 miles

Monday, October 29, 2018

New schedule of jogs/walks

My wife and I were out walking early this morning (I'm eating breakfast after my walk).

I've decided to change my philosophy of running/walking to go out more often but for shorter distances. I've been going out 3 times per week. Now, I will go out 5 times per week, as shown below, and the weekly mileage will be about 0.4 miles more than that I have been doing: To compensate for the longer distance, I may skip the rest walks on Tuesdays. I'll have to see how I do with the schedule given below and then make changes, if necessary.

Monday - rest walk of 0.4 miles
Tuesday - rest walk of 0.4 miles
Wednesday - medium walk of 0.6 miles
Thursday - rest walk of 0.4 miles
Friday - rest day, no walking or running
Saturday - long walk of 0.72 miles

 As time goes by, I will slowly increase the medium and long walks, but the rest walks will stay at 0.4 miles for a while. When I was younger, I ran three times per week and changed the distance of all runs. After my runs reached 5 miles, I changed to the philosophy of rest runs, medium runs, and long runs. I've never run more that five times per week since I like to have rest days before and after my long run.

I will use the distances given above for a while while my body adjusts to going out more often and to a longer weekly distance, Then, I will start increasing the distance of the medium and long walks. After my long walk gets to 2 miles, I will return to the Jordan River Parkway, and I will then start alternating jogging and walking, as I've done in the past.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Another 0.72 miles

My wife, a grandson, and I walked around the block, and I did a bit more for a distance of 0.72 miles. I took two rest breaks during the walk. Each break was a standing break, and the break lasted for about 15 seconds. We were out in the morning, and the temperature was in the low 60s. It was a pretty nice day to be outside.

After I had rested from my walk, I used my lawn mower to suck up leaves. Our neighbor's walnut tree still has a lot of green leaves, and each time the wind blows, more leaves fall to the ground.

Friday, October 26, 2018

More leaves

The wind is blowing again, and my front lawns are full of leaves....

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Another 0.72 miles

I walked another 0.72 miles, and I didn't stop for rest breaks, indicating my legs are stronger.

I was surprised that I didn't have to stop since I had spent much of the day with my lawn mower sucking up leaves and mowing the north and back lawns. Whenever I felt tired while using the lawn mower, I would stop and rest for a few minutes. When I left to go walking, I didn't feel particularly tired. I had rested for an hour since I used the mower, and my walking showed I was rested.

My neighbor has a large walnut tree, and we've heard that walnut leaves contain a chemical which isn't good for gardens. As a result, I'm sucking up leaves with our lawn mower and putting the leaves in my trash bin. Normally, I would put the leaves in our compost bins that Judy made out of bricks. My trash bin was completely full of leaves when I finished. The wind was blowing during the day, causing a lot of leaves to be deposited on my lawns. However, the wind finally stopped, and I'm hoping my lawns are free of leaves for a day or two.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

0.72 miles again

Judy is out of town, so I went out alone, about noon. I was tired during the walk, but I took several rest stops (standing and about 10 seconds each) during the latter part of my walk. The temperature was in the low 60s, and there was lots of sun.

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Another 0.72 miles

My wife and I attended the LDS Temple this morning, and then we went walking around the block. I was tired when we left for walking, and I was tired during the walk. I walk slowly, and it took me about 25 minutes to complete the 0.72 miles.

The sky was nice this morning when we left for the temple, but it was overcast when we started walking. We no longer have secondary water for our flowers and veggies, so I'm hoping we get some rain. We will be without secondary water until mid May of next year.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Did about 0.72 miles

Judy and I went around the block, and I increased my run by one house or about 0.1 miles (round trip). Judy stopped to talk with a neighbor, and I kept on walking. She caught up with me before we reached home. As I get stronger, I'm finding I walk a bit faster.

Monday, October 8, 2018

Did another 0.62 miles

In late morning, I walked around the block for another 0.62 miles. My wife, Judy, started a few minutes later than I did, and she almost caught up with me. I arrived home a couple of minutes before she did. The temperature was in the 50s while I walked, and it was nice to be outside.

My feet felt fine yesterday and during the walk today. The Rhus Tox remedy is doing fine.

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Did 0.62 miles again

My wife and I went walking between sessions of the conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). My wife stopped to talk with a neighbor, and I went ahead and completed my walk around the block. I had expected my wife to catch up with me since she can walk fast, but she didn't catch up. She came home about 5 minutes after I came home.

My feet felt fine during the walk today -- no weak feelings in my feet. I had a slight weakness in my right foot, but the weakness went away after I had walked around the house for a few minutes. I took a lot of Rhus Tox yesterday. I'm hoping that after 2 or 3 weeks, I won't need Rhus Tox anymore, because my feet will be stronger. Rhus Tox is a homeopathy remedy, and there is no possibility of one becoming addicted to it.

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Rhus Tox Remedy is OK

When I awoke this morning, my feet felt pretty good. There was just a small tinge of weakness, and as soon as  I walked a bit, this tinge was gone. The Rhus Tox remedy seems to be doing its job with the "rusty gate" syndrome.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Did 0.6 miles

Instead of doing a loop, we did an out-back for 0.6 miles. We had a light sprinkle earlier in the morning, but the rain was gone by the time we went out walking. My right ankle felt weak -- no pain just weakness.

This weakness is similar to that felt when I first started running 42 years ago and was the reason I started running.  The weakness I felt then and now indicates weak muscles in my feet. The weakness is felt when I first start walking and goes away as I continue walking. This is known as the "rusty gate" syndrome. The gate is hard to push to start the opening, but after the gate starts moving, it moves more freely. In other words, the symptom of this weakness is that movement improves things. I am thus taking Rhus Tox to strengthen my muscles. This remedy was very helpful 42 years ago.

Monday, October 1, 2018

Another week of 0.62 miles

Judy and I went walking in mid-morning. I went in the morning while I was still fresh from a nights sleep. I think I was less tired than when I went in the evening, but the difference wasn't great. The temperature was in the low 60s (F). Rain is forecaste for tomorrow.